How Much Can a Ford Explorer Tow?
How much can a Ford Explorer tow? Many Peoria drivers ask this question as they consider whether the Explorer will accommodate their driving demands. The good news is, no matter where you’re headed around East Peoria, you’ll be able to bring along everything you need thanks to the 2020 Ford Explorer towing capacity of 5,600 pounds. Despite this strength, the new Explorer still proves economical, with excellent fuel economy returns. Learn more with Mike Murphy Ford!
Ford Explorer Engine Options
The 2019 Ford Explorer was already a compelling option, but a redesign for the 2020 model years introduces new powertrains, which influence how much you can tow. No matter what, you’ll have 5,000 pounds or more of towing power.
- 2.3L EcoBoost® 4-Cylinder: A towing capacity of 5,300 pounds is made possible by 300 hp and 310 lb-ft of torque from this engine.
- 3.0L EcoBoost® V6: A variety of features combine for a 5,600-pound towing capacity from this engine. These include a 10-speed automatic transmission, twin turbos, and direct injection, which also allow for up to 365 hp and 380 lb-ft of torque on Platinum trims and 400 hp and 415 lb-ft of torque on ST trims.
- 3.3L Hybrid: As we mentioned, fuel economy and power go hand-in-hand with the new Explorer. Its hybrid powertrain boasts a 5,000-pound towing capacity for Pekin drivers.
Ford Explorer Towing Features
Take advantage of these tow-ready features on the new Explorer in order to make the most of your experience.
- All-new rear-wheel drive: A new drivetrain for the 2020 model year translates into an increase of 600 pounds in towing capabilities from the year prior. Plus, it provides a sportier appearance.
- Intelligent 4WD with Terrain Management System™: Peoria drivers also have the option to go with Intelligent 4WD with Terrain Management System™, through which you can eSwitch between Normal, Mud/Rut, Sand, or Grass/Gravel/Snow modes for ultimate control on Peoria roads.
- Class III Trailer Tow Package: The maximum Ford Explorer towing capacity requires this package, which is available 2.3L EcoBoost® and 3.3L hybrid engines and standard with the 3.0L EcoBoost® engine.
- Towing and Trailer Sway Control: Washington drivers who get nervous while towing will certainly get a lot out of this system, as to works to ensure trailer control and stability by selectively braking.
- AdvanceTrac® with Roll Stability Control™: AdvanceTrac® with RSC™ monitors yaw and roll rates using gyroscopic sensors, and helps retain control in the event of wheel-slip, understeer, or oversteer. It also includes Curve Control, which slows the Explorer’s speed during tight cornering.
- Sidewind Stabilization: Highway driving can be nerve wracking when hauling a trailer, so this program counteracts strong winds to keep you in control.
Test Drive the Ford Explorer at Mike Murphy Ford!
The 2020 Ford Explorer towing capacity is undoubtedly impressive, but that’s not all this model has to offer. The interior of the 2019 model should provide some insight as to what to expect inside the 2020 Explorer cabin, and comparing it to the 2020 Honda Pilot proves its superiority. Want to check it all out in person? Get in touch with Mike Murphy Ford!
More from Mike Murphy Ford
How do you need to use your pickup truck in the Peoria area? The way you plan to drive your pickup will help you to determine an appropriate truck bed size. For example, if you want to use your new Ford F-150 as a daily driver, a smaller bed might work best to make more…
Within the extensive Ford SUV lineup, the Ford Edge is well known for its thrilling performance capabilities. Yet Peoria-area drivers who get behind the wheel also want to know that the 2020 Ford Edge interior will accommodate their spacial, comfort, and convenience needs. Check out the Ford Edge interior dimensions and features with Mike Murphy Ford before…
How much can a Ford Explorer tow? Many Peoria drivers ask this question as they consider whether the Explorer will accommodate their driving demands. The good news is, no matter where you’re headed around East Peoria, you’ll be able to bring along everything you need thanks to the 2020 Ford Explorer towing capacity of 5,600 pounds….